Fresh ginger root has become a mainstay in my kitchen…
It’s almost Halloween! Or should I say, “C’est presque l’halloween!”
Random side bar note: Did you know that Canada is an officially bilingual country? Hence, why, after years of French in school, my default for certain words is in French. Oui. L’halloween is one of them as is beurre d’arachide because that’s just fun to say. Or “fermez les lumiers” because we close the lights en francais, not turn them out. But I’m guessing that most French speakers wouldn’t actually say the latter. Okay random side bar / tangential ramble now complete.
‘Tis the season for treats and trickery. And as far as treats go, I trick you not, these Toasted Coconut Caramel Macaroons Do. Not. Disappoint!
They are decadently sweet and so-so perfectly chewy. And you can serve ’em up to your kiddos without feeling the pangs of “what the heck kind of nastiness is in these SAD packets of, well, sadness.”
Seriously. Some of those things I see in the store: opaque pink and white puffs with shiny globs of red loosely resembling…fangs. Like, yuck. (And this from the girl who thinks vampires are their own special kind of cool, but that sort of refined abomination is just too monstrous indeed.)
Another bonus? These babes are simple to assemble and basically no-bake, aside from the five minutes needed to toast the shredded coconut.
So enjoy these treats, fine peeps! xx
Toasted Coconut Caramel Macaroons (AIP, Paleo, SCD)
Author: Martine Partridge
Recipe type: Treats
- 1 c dates, pitted (about 12 dates)
- 1 c lightly toasted shredded coconut, divided
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp coconut butter, softened
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (for AIP-ers, use an alcohol-free version)
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread out the shredded coconut on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the oven for about five minutes to lightly toast. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Remove the toasted shredded coconut to a bowl to cool.
- Add pitted dates and ½ c of the toasted coconut to a food processor and process to combine until a ball forms. Add the coconut oil, coconut butter, vanilla and sea salt. Continue to process until well mixed and a ball forms again.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Place in the freezer for five minutes. Remove and begin rolling into ball shapes using a heaping teaspoon measure (which gets you 16) or a tablespoon measure (which gets you 10-12).
- Roll in the remaining ½ c of toasted shredded coconut. You can also leave some unrolled for contrast and variation.
- Store in the refrigerator in a covered container for 7-10 days. Enjoy!