I get all heart eyes about tapas. Tapas offer snacky…
This Rustic Root Vegetable Mash is chockablock full of flavah flave.
The aromatics of the mint and the orange zest come together so well with the earthy carrots and parsnips, robust garlic, and good old dollop of duck fat. Of course, you can use another fat of your choice, but duck fat is, well, the fat of all fats in the kingdom of fantastically fatty fats.
The other thing I really dig about this recipe? It takes less than five minutes if you use that magic machine otherwise known as the Instant Pot, which is a most serious and welcome game-changer in the kitchen.
When you invest the resources and energy to feed yourself and your families well, you deserve to enjoy the convenience of shortened cooking time. Getting in more moments with your near and dear over home-cooked meals that don’t take a back-breakingly, boringly long time to prepare is a sure win-win!
A Couple of Notes on This Totes Scrumpsh Rustic Root Vegetable Mash:
- This mash is easily doubled to serve a larger crowd.
- You certainly don’t have to use the Instant Pot. You can also simply steam the carrots and parsnips for about 25 minutes, or until fork tender, and then proceed with Steps 5-7 in the recipe below.
Rustic Root Vegetable Mash (AIP, Paleo, Whole 30)
Author: Martine Partridge
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 2 c carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 c parsnips, peeled and chopped
- ½ c water
- 1 tbsp duck fat (or fat of your choice)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- Place chopped carrots and parsnips into the Instant Pot insert on top of the trivet.
- Pour over the ½ c of water.
- Close lid, ensure the valve is set to seal. Using the Manual setting, set to cook for three minutes.
- Using the Quick Release method, carefully release the pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Drain well and coarsely mash the carrots and parsnips with the duck fat, crushed garlic, and sea salt.
- Stir in the orange zest and mint.
- Spoon into a serving dish and garnish with additional fresh mint, if desired.