I don’t know what’s better: a roast beef dinner or…
Riffing off a good thing makes an even better thing, right? Right. Now that we’ve settled that, let’s riff away.
These Orange Creamsicle Squares are inspired by two recipes: 1) the Pumpkin Pie Squares, which remain one of the most popular recipes on my blog, and 2) the Orange Creamsicle Dressing, which invariably evokes a response like, “Move over leafy greens because I’m gonna slurp down that entire jar of creamy orange deliciousness.”
Orange Creamsicle Squares (AIP, Paleo)
Recipe type: Treat
- For the crust:
- ¼ c coconut flour
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot flour
- pinch of sea salt
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (use alcohol-free vanilla flavour for elimination-phase AIP)
- 2 tbsp. filtered water
- For the filling:
- 3 oranges, peeled and seeded
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 c coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract (use alcohol-free vanilla flavour or pure vanilla powder for elimination-phase AIP)
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. gelatin
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine coconut flour, arrowroot flour, and pinch of sea salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the melted coconut oil, honey, and vanilla. Stir. Add the water and continue to stir until thickened.
- Press into an 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until light golden on the edges. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Peel and seed oranges. Puree in a food processor.
- Place coconut milk and vanilla in a small sauce pan. Stir. Sprinkle gelatin on top. Allow to soften for 5 minutes.
- Gently heat and dissolve gelatin. Remove from the heat and add to ingredients in the food processor. Add honey and orange zest and process until smooth.
- Pour over the cooled crust and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours or until set.