Fresh basil is one of my truest, longstanding culinary loves.…
All recipe development excites me, but every now and then, I create a recipe that I get absolutely giddy about. And this recipe for Fish Dumplings in Shiitake-Ginger Broth is one of those recipes!
This recipe is nutritious, delicious, and AIP-friendly. The fish dumplings are so light and airy (dare I say bread-like!), and the broth is full of uber slurpable zip and umami.
I’ll be heading back to our fishmonger this Friday to stock up on some fresh, wild-caught haddock so that these Fish Dumplings in Shiitake-Ginger Broth can once again wow our palates. In the meantime, I can’t wait for you to start enjoying this slamdunk of a dish — dumplings and all!
Happy nomming, Peeps.
Fish Dumplings in Shitake-Ginger Broth
Recipe type: Soup / Main Dish
- For the Fish Dumplings:
- 0.5 pound skinless, white-fleshed fish fillets (I used haddock.)
- 1 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- For the Shiitake-Ginger Broth:
- 6 c filtered water
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms, stems cut off and chopped and caps sliced thin
- 2 tbsp. ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 4 cilantro sprigs
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 small green onions, white and light green parts, cut lengthwise into thin strands
- 1-2 c lacinato kale, cut lengthwise into thin strands
- lemon zest for garnish
- To make the fish dumplings, cut the fish into 1- to 2-inch chunks. Place in a food processor, and process until finely ground. Add the ginger, lemon juice, and salt and process until thoroughly blended.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into balls using a heaping teaspoon measure. Set aside on a plate, cover, and refrigerate until you are ready to cook in the broth.
- For the broth, combine the water, shiitake stems, ginger, garlic, cilantro sprigs, coconut aminos and fish sauce in a large pot. Bring to boil over high heat.
- Decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover partially, and cook until the shiitake and ginger pieces are soft (about 10-15 minutes).
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean medium saucepan. Discard the contents of the strainer.
- Bring the strained broth just to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the shiitake caps, kale, green onions, and fish dumplings.
- Cook until the dumplings rise to the top (around 3 minutes).
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with lemon zest.