Mmmmm...our family loves these pretty-in-pink marshmallows. Once my mom perfected…
Some seriously sage words come from that Crayola-blue hued Muppet, Cookie Monster: “Me love poetry . . . and cookies!” Me too, Cookie Monster, me too.
In fact when I was an undergrad happily reading tomes of verse, I often loved up a cookie or two whilst analyzing the nuances of — oh, I don’t know — Keats’s metaphors or the brilliance of William Carlos Williams’ imagery. Alas. Those dreamy university-student days are long gone, but cookie-eating days sure aren’t!
This recipe for Classic Cookies first appeared back in the spring of 2014 on The Crohn’s Journey Foundation. This foundation was a nonprofit that provided education and support for people with IBD, and I would occasionally contribute recipes. The foundation is no more, but recently after a fellow instagrammer inquired about this particular recipe, I was reminded of its simultaneous simplicity and scrumptiousness, so I rephotographed and am sharing it here today as a Happy FriYAY post!
One important word of advice: You want to source super fine ground almond flour for this recipe. The super fine texture is key to the success of this cookie. Anything too course or meal-y will render a flat, greasy, and generally unpleasant cookie.
In closing, here’s yet another wise sentiment from our friend, who coined #omnomnom: “Today me will live in the moment unless it’s unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.” But me say, Cookie, why not live in the moment AND eat a cookie?
Classic Cookies (Paleo, SCD)
Author: Martine Partridge
Recipe type: Treats
Serves: 16-18 cookies
- 1¼ c almond flour, super fine ground
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ c honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ c Enjoy Life Foods mini chocolate chips (Omit for SCD and replace with raisins, if desired.)
- ¼ c shredded coconut
- ¼ c chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix almond flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat egg, honey, vanilla,and oil together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and mix to combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips (Omit for SCD.), shredded coconut, and optional chopped nuts.
- Drop batter by the rounded teaspoon measure onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!