Some seriously sage words come from that Crayola-blue hued Muppet,…
If globalization is responsible for bringing pho to the western world, then I’m just gonna say globalization ain’t all that bad. Because I’ve always really, really loved a good pho session. However, rice noodles are a staple ingredient in those brothy bowls of yumtown (not to mention all the other additives and preservatives that make their way into restaurant food), so I haven’t had me a bowl of pho in quite some time.
A question I often get asked about following a paleo and AIP diet is “What do you miss eating the most?” The answer to that is rice – namely, in the form of maki and good, old banh pho. I don’t long for rice given how well I feel when I don’t eat it, but every once in a while I do get a strong hankering.
And that’s why I love this Chicken Zoodle Faux Pho so much. The combination of fresh ginger and garlic along with coconut milk and fish sauce appeases that craving for Asian flavours without, of course, dishing up a single chili pepper. And the zoodles add just the right amount of noodle-y slurpability.
So get zoodle-ing and simmering so that you too can enjoy a scrummy bowl of this Faux Pho!
Chicken Zoodle Faux Pho (Paleo, AIP, Whole30, 21DSD)
Recipe type: Main Dish / Soup
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- ⅓ c green onion, chopped fine
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and shredded (so that it amounts to about 1 cup)
- 2 c mushrooms, sliced (preferably shitake)
- 4 c chicken bone broth
- ½ c coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. Red Boat fish sauce
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken, cubed
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ c chopped cilantro
- 2 c zucchini noodles (I like to cut them into four bundles to ease serving)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic, ginger, green onions, shredded carrot, and mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add broth, coconut milk, and fish sauce.
- Bring to a gentle boil, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add chicken and simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve over prepared zucchini noodles.