Meet The Original Hubster! If you follow me on Instagram,…
Raw carrots are one of my favourite, most crunchiest, munchiest snacking foods. I peel and eat. Who doesn’t dig simple two-step snacks?
I recently learned from my handy-dandy Healing Foods book that the essential oils expressed when eating carrots raw can protect against intestinal parasites, not to mention the high-fiber content of carrots promotes a feeling of fullness and aids bowel regularity (Curtis et al, 84). You’re winning all around here, sweet bites of crunchable carotenes.
So, yeah. I love carrots. Sometimes, however, I want a little somethin’ somethin’ more than the peel-and-eat gig. So when those special days come around, the days when I desire to let raw carrots shine and truly convey to them how much I appreciate their exceptional nature as givers of the beta-carotene glory, I make this Carrot Cake Shake.
This is a refreshing beverage that features a flavour profile of bosom buds – namely, carrot, apple, and ginger. And because carrots are rather sweet to begin with, you may find that you don’t even need the addition of the optional maple syrup.
So get peeling, blending, and sipping. And let the lovely carrot do its carroty thing!
Carrot Cake Shake (Paleo, AIP)
Recipe type: Beverage / Snack
- 1 c carrot, peeled and sliced
- ¼ c applesauce (all natural with no added sweetener)
- 1 c coconut milk (BPA-free can and without additives like guar gum)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground ginger (or ¼ tsp fresh for extra bite!)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tbsp. collagen (optional, but great for added amino acids!)
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Process all ingredients in a high-speed blender, and enjoy!