Dairy-free has been my gig for such a long time…
I’m so excited by this Caramel Banana Bread Pudding! Bring on the repurposing if it means nomming on this hellishly good treat.
Ooops. I shouldn’t say “hell.” My mama taught me otherwise. And this dessert is, after all, going to be made in her honour next Sunday when we gather to celebrate Mother’s Day. It’s entirely appropriate, isn’t it, to pay homage to the sweetness of our moms by making them a decadent treat?
I like to prepare a home-cooked meal for my parents when I can. After all, they kept me well fed for so many years, not to mention my mom’s tireless efforts in the kitchen shortly after my diagnosis with Crohn’s. She’s a true pioneer on the food-as-medicine frontier – the woman broke a food processor by grinding her own almonds for flour long before the stuff was readily available. That’s fierce!
If you haven’t yet had the chance to make this Banana Loaf recipe, you’ll want to get your bake on and do that soon because it is the main ingredient in this scrumptious Caramel Banana Bread Pudding. Other yummy ingredients include chopped apple, raisins, cinnamon, and a delectable caramel sauce.
Five words for you, my friends: yum in all our tums! Oh, and five more: Make this for your mama.
Caramel Banana Bread Pudding (Paleo, AIP)
Recipe type: Treats/Desserts
- 1 Banana Loaf, sliced and cut into cubes (4 cups of ¼ inch cubes)
- 1 apple, peeled, seeded, and diced small
- 1 tbsp. raisins (or mini chocolate chips if you aren't following strict-phase AIP)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 4 dates, seeded and chopped (about ¼ cup)
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp. gelatin
- 3 tbsp. water
- Bake your Banana Bread early in the day or the day before. Allow it to cool completely before cutting into cubes.
- Lightly grease an 8x8 baking dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the coconut milk, honey, chopped dates, and pinch of salt to a sauce pan. Bring to a gentle simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Blend to incorporate dates.
- Place cubed banana bread, diced apple, and raisins in the baking dish. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp. of gelatin in 1 tbsp. cold water in a small bowl. Then add 2 tbsp. of boiling water and beat vigorously until frothy. Add to coconut milk mixture in the blender and blend for a few seconds to thoroughly combine.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the cubed banana bread mixture in the baking dish. Place in the preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with whipped coconut topping and a pinch of cinnamon.
- NOTE: You can certainly use one fresh egg (if not following AIP) instead of the gelatin egg, but if doing so, allow the coconut milk to cool to room temperature before adding the egg.