Mmmmm...our family loves these pretty-in-pink marshmallows. Once my mom perfected…
The skillet is my friend – I use my trusty 12-inch cast iron skillet every morning at breakfast to sauté my daily dose of greens (usually kale or collards) as well as an array of whatever other vegetables (usually squash and leftover roasted broccoli) I have on hand.
The skillet is also my dear friend during the work week, especially on those nights when it’s been a helluva day. On those nights I’m teetering precariously on the ledge of hangry, about to tumble head-first into a dark gorge of lethargy, frustration, and hunger. It’s all so unsightly – just ask my husband.
So we’re fans of skillet scrambles because they come together in a snap and contain the satisfying combination of protein and vegetables.
This Teriyaki Skillet Scramble puts my teriyaki sauce to delicious use, and it contains otherwise simple, easy-to-source ingredients like ground meat, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms.
Prepare a batch of the teriyaki sauce on the weekend, chop your vegetables ahead of time, and Bob’s your uncle. No more staggering into the unpleasant realm of hangry. Make this dish for your next hectic weeknight dinner, and you’ll find yourself back in the happier realm of satiated pretty darn quick.
Teriyaki Skillet Scramble (AIP, Paleo)
Author: Martine Partridge
Recipe type: Main
- Teriyaki Sauce recipe (under the Condiments tab)
- 8 oz lean ground meat (pork, beef, chicken)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp. oil, divided
- 2 c cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 c mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c broccoli florets
- 1 c carrot, julienned
- ¼ c green onions, chopped
- sea salt to taste
- Prepare the teriyaki sauce. This can be done in advanced and placed in the refrigerator until ready to prepare the skillet scramble.
- Place ground meat in a bowl and pour ¼ c of the teriyaki sauce over the meat. Season with salt and stir to combine. Reserve the remaining sauce for the balance of the recipe.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tbsp. of oil. Add ground meat and scramble fry, stirring and breaking up meat until cooked through. Remove to a clean bowl.
- Add the second tablespoon of oil and all the vegetables except the green onion. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften -- about 3-4 minutes.
- Return meat to the skillet along with remaining teriyaki sauce. Heat through for about 1-2 minutes. Stir in green onion. Remove from heat. Season with sea salt and serve.