I’m an ardent supporter of #teamliverpâté. I make regular batches…
This recipe for Tangy Turnip & Sprouts Slaw is inspired by a similar recipe that I found while browsing through the latest edition of bon appétit.
One of my favourite past times is sitting down with a mug of tea and a square of dark chocolate (yaaay for the occasional successful reintroduction!), relishing this beautifully edited magazine, the pages of which are always peppered with cool culinary finds like bacalao and garum. And the photography? Two words: swoon worthy.
But back to the recipe. I love sprouts. However, recently I started to tire of the same old roasting routine. Fortunately, fellow food blogger Meg, of Be Paleo and Thrive, recharged my love for sprouts with her Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Prosciutto Salad, a refreshing and delightful spin on the tried, tested, and true sprouts and bacon combo.
This slaw recipe also makes use of raw shredded sprouts, which are sturdy enough to hold up to the citrusy vinaigrette. The shredded sprouts of this slaw are so delicious along with the crunchiness of matchsticked purple-topped turnips and the tartness of apples. (If you ask me, the Pink Lady reigns supreme what with her flavourful bite.)
Oh, and I should mention that this recipe wins bonus points because it’s one of those dishes you can assemble during a batch-cooking session as it lasts for several days in the fridge. This slaw is perfect alongside any protein and a great addition to a bed of greens.
You certainly won’t find yourself in a sprouts-related rut because this slaw is super scrumptious!
Tangy Turnip & Sprouts Slaw (Paleo, AIP, SCD)
Recipe type: Sides/Salads
- 16 Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 2 small white turnips, matchsticked
- 1 medium apple, matchsticked
- For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- ½ tsp lime zest
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard (NOTE: Seed-based spices and seeds are Stage 1-2 reintroductions, so if you are following the elimination phase of AIP, do not add this ingredient.)
- pinch of salt
- Shred the Brussels sprouts and matchstick the white turnip and apple. Toss in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the sprouts, turnip, and apple. Combine well, and then nom away!