Dear Readers, I wanted to share with you one last…
Many of you are getting ready to celebrate Thanksgiving — a holiday that provides ample opportunity for pumpkin to shine.
Well this recipe allows pumpkin to grandstand in a most delectable way, combining the best of a soft, delicate cake mixed with all the warm spices that complement the familiar orange gourd so well.
This cake is grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free. It’s also compliant with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), a healing protocol that helped me immensely in the early days after being diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease.
And I must give a shout-out to Heavenly Organics for sending me some of their amazing raw, organic honey, which was used in this recipe. Heavenly Organics is so conscientious — their bees are happily wild and free, and the honey is sustainably sourced using bee-friendly and smoke-free methods.
So if you’re feeling a little “pie schmie” this holiday season, serve this Pumpkin Spice Cake instead. Up the ante on the devilishly-good factor by drizzling with caramel sauce and adding a dollop of coconut whip.
Pumpkin Spice Cake (Paleo, SCD)
Author: Martine Partridge
Recipe type: Dessert/Treat
- 1¼ c almond flour, must be fine ground
- ¼ c coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ c honey
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted
- ¾ c pumpkin puree
- ¼ c apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch spring form pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add almond flour and sift in coconut flour. Add the baking soda, salt, and all the spices. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, honey, and oil. Add the pumpkin puree, apple sauce, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Beat to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two additions; combine.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. With the back of a spoon, gently smooth the top. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until firm in the centre.
- Remove the cake to a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes. Before removing sides of the spring form pan, carefully run a knife around the edges to be sure no sticking occurred.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Serve alone or with caramel sauce and/or whipped coconut cream.
- Store any leftover cake in the fridge.