Ahhhh, yeah. This Caramel Sauce is def going down because something extra…
Hey there! Were you a child of the 80s like me? And were you raised in Alberta, a western prairie province of Canada, like me? Then, like me, you’ll remember the screaming success of the Company’s Coming cookbook series, published in Edmonton, Alberta’s capital.
The blue plastic-combed spine of 150 Delicious Squares, the first in this popular series, was a mainstay in the early-to-mid 80s kitchen when clunky track lighting and beige-melamine-oak-trimmed cabinets were au courant.
I promise that this preamble has pertinence. This is not some rando recollection of a thirty-something foodblogger waxing nostalgic about late twentieth-century kitchen décor and Canadiana. My preface relates directly to today’s recipe for these No-Bake Sweet & Salty Chocolate Cups, which were inspired by a Company’s Coming recipe.
This treat is texturally fun with a wee salty crunch from crushed plantain chips, an ingredient adapted from the Company’s Coming recipe, which called for crushed potato chips. (Yeah, the peeps were always bemused when they figured out that ingredient.)
Sweet, salty, crunchy, nutty, chocolate-y – “such stuff as dreams are made on.” Am I right? Who’s with me for indulging in a nibble or two of that which appeases and delights a gamut of tastes? Oh, and these freeze exceptionally well in case you’re tempted to nom on a few too many. 😉
Sweet & Salty Chocolate Cups (Paleo, Vegan)
Author: Martine Partridge
Recipe type: Treats
- 1½ c Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- ¼ c nut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 bag (105 g) of salted plantain chips (about 1 c crushed)
- mini foil cups
- In a food processor, pulse plantain chips until a fine crumbly texture. You should have about one cup once finely crumbled.
- In a saucepan, melt the chocolate over low heat. Stir in the nut butter and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the crushed plantain chips.
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop the mixture into mini foil cups.
- Place in the refrigerator until set.