Tomatoes, eggplants, and potatoes? What the heck are you trying…
Fresh basil is one of my truest, longstanding culinary loves. I’ve swooned before about the dreaminess of our local Italian Centre’s offering of verdant, emerald-green basil leaves. Seriously. I just can’t get enough of this most enchanting plant used for food.
So it’s no surprise that I make weekly batches of AIP pesto, which we use often as a salad dressing or as a topping for fish, but this last week I was jonesing for shredded beef.
Traditionally shredded beef recipes are smokey or BBQ in flavour, and we all know what that means. Dun Dun Duuuuuuun! Nightshades. And since nightshades are one of the worst triggers for me, I avoid them. Entirely. Fastidiously. Painstakingly.
This recipe, though? Not a single nightshade to be found, and oh, my. Let the deliciousness ensue. Let your taste buds delight in the flavour party that is the combo of lemon and basil and slow-roasted beef.
We’ve had this beef along with roasted kalettes and sweet potatoes. We’ve also had it atop a bountiful salad, or, as is shown here, wrapped up in blanched collards. I suggest you get yourself a roast so that you too can nom away on this zesty and scrumptious dish.
Lemon-Basil Shredded Beef (Paleo, AIP, Whole30, 21DSD)
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 c fresh basil leaves
- ½ c oil
- 2 tsp ume plum vinegar
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- zest of one lemon (optional)
- 2-3 pound beef roast
- ¼-1/3 c bone broth
- Combine basil, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and garlic in a Nutribullet and process until smooth. You could also use an immersion/hand-held blender.
- Place roast in the slowcooker.
- Combine ¼-1/3 cup of bone broth and ¼ cup of the lemon-basil sauce.
- Pour over the roast. Cover, and slow cook on low for 8 hours.
- Refrigerate the rest of the lemon-basil sauce.
- When beef is done slow cooking, remove from the slow cooker and shred.
- Add shredded beef back to the slow cooker and mix with the juices that had accumulated.
- Stir in the rest of the lemon-basil sauce.