I’m all about iron these days. I nerdishly research the…
I heart kale. I also heart when people use the word “heart” as a synonym for love. Alas. That’s a tangent, and I’ll get back to the heart of the matter — namely, the stately Brassica oleracea. All hail the kale!
Give That Kale Some Lovin’
I like steaming kale, and I like sautéing kale. But my personal favourite is massaging kale (a wee trick I learned from AIP maven, Mickey Trescott of Autoimmune Paleo).
Little to no cooking time is best when noshing on kale since we want to retain those wonderful dark green leafy nutrients. But straight-up kale is coarse, which is why I prefer it massaged when adding it raw to salads. With massage, the kale leaves soften as the fibers begin to break down. Once those barriers are down, kale really starts to shine. Massaged kale is a hearty but tasty addition to any salad. So get up close and personal with your kale and give it some lovin’.
The robust kale leaves, the crunchy julienned carrots, the creamy bits of avocado, and the zip of the red onion make for a perfect combo in this Kale and Carrot Salad. Plus this combo showcases well the zing of the Carrot-Ginger Dressing. Serve this Kale and Carrot Salad with some grilled pastured chicken, and you’ve got yourself a complete and nourishing meal . . . which you’ll heart.
Kale and Carrot Salad (Paleo, AIP)
Author: Martine Partridge
Recipe type: Salad / Side
- 1 head of curly kale, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 1.5 c carrots, julienned
- ½ avocado, chopped
- ¼ c red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ c pitted Kalamata olives, chopped (optional)
- 3-5 tbsp. Carrot-Ginger Dressing
- Wash and dry kale leaves. Roll and thinly slice leaves. Add to bowl and drizzle with EVOO. Massage oil into kale for 3-5 minutes.
- Add julienned carrots, diced avocado, and sliced red onion.
- Add a few tablespoons of the Carrot-Ginger Dressing. Toss to coat.
- Serve salad with extra dressing for drizzling.