I’ve steamed it and I’ve roasted it. I’ve let it…
I deliberated. Do I call this recipe a verrine — ooooh, schmancy? Or a parfait — a little too “hot eats cool treats”? Or plain ole deconstructed?
I opted for the latter because that’s exactly what we’ve got here — all the delicious bits of apple pie broken down and deconstructed with the hellishly good addition of caramel sauce! And just in time for Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. So if you were wondering how to wow your peeps with a decadent and festive but AIP-compatible treat, now ya know.
Below you’ll find the ingredients and directions for the stove-top Apple Pie Filling, but you’ll also need to make (and subsequently break into chunks) this pie crust. Then you’ll want to prepare this caramel sauce. After that, you’ll have it made in the shade with the most scrumptious, adorable (and portable should you be asked to bring dessert to some special locale) individual-serving Deconstructed Apple Pies!
So, yeah. A decadent and festive treat AIP-style is now all yours.
To assemble the Deconstructed Apple Pies
- Place a couple of tablespoons of broken pie crust pieces in the bottom of 4-8 dessert dishes (4 half-pint mason jars or 8 quarter-pint mason jars work well, plus you can use lids for secure portability).
- Add a couple tablespoons of the Stove-Top Apple Pie Filling (recipe below).
- Top with a few pieces of pie crust and drizzle with caramel sauce. Top with whipped coconut milk, if desired.
If you’re in Canada reading this, I hope this Thanksgiving weekend brings you many moments of love and laughter and overall gratitude for life in all its messy but beautiful wonder. Wherever you are, I hope this weekend, and all the weekends (because gratitude is one of those things of which we can never have too much!), brings you just as much thankfulness for whatever makes your heart happy. I also hope it brings you one of these Deconstructed Apple Pies.
Stove-Top Apple Filling for Deconstructed Apple Pie (AIP, Paleo)
Author: Martine Partridge
Recipe type: Treats
- Pie Crust (link to recipe in blog post above)
- Caramel Sauce (link to recipe in blog post above)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 4-5 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- In a saucepan melt coconut oil over medium heat. Immediately add apples, coconut sugar, cinnamon and ginger.
- Stir to coat, and then stir in honey.
- Allow mixture to simmer until apples release juices and begin to soften. However, you want the apples to retain their shape and not get mushy. This should take 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.