I think it’s pretty cool that if we pay attention,…
Food tastes better in the sunshine. This, my friends, is a universal truth.
I get rather excited this time of year as the warmer, sunnier days provide ample opportunity for eating en plein air. When spring and summer grace us with the sweetness of their “honey breath” (that lovely little turn of phrase can be found somewhere in Shakespeare’s colossal canon…a sonnet, methinks?), we like to eat outside as much as we can. This means taking dinner onto our balcony during the week and packing up our portable grill along with a cooler full of nommy eats in search of an idyllic retreat in a local park over the weekend.
These Crazy-Good Kebabs are a favourite of ours for plein air dining. Once grilled and cooked through, you can eat them right off the skewer, so they make the perfect picnic finger food!
NOTES about this recipe:
- Although marinating the meat for a couple of hours is sufficient, I prefer to make the marinade the night before, allowing lots of time for those chunks of meat to absorb the scrumptious flavours. Marinating for longer also helps keep the meat moist.
- We like to use chicken, but lamb would be fab paired with this marinade as well.
- Grills can be finicky with their variations in heating. My husband has come to know well our grill’s sweet spots, but as a general rule with chicken kebabs, we grill for about 10-12 minutes, turning each kebab by a quarter every couple of minutes so that all sides are nicely browned.
- Finally, might I suggest serving these kebabs with this Cauli-Rice Pilaf and the Citrus Summer Salad? Just lovely!
Try these Crazy-Good Kebabs – they exemplify the deliciousness and purity of just eating real food. So much pleases the palate with this classic combo of lemon, garlic and fresh herbs. Bon appétit!
Crazy-Good Kebabs (AIP, Paleo, SCD)
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 lbs boneless meat (we use a combination of chicken breasts and thighs)
- ¼ c fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1.5 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ tbsp. lemon zest
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ c EVOO
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse and pat dry the meat. Chop into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Process all the marinade ingredients (mint, rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, EVOO, and salt) in a small food processor or with an immersion blender for about a minute or until smooth.
- Mix the meat and the marinade. Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Thread each piece of meat onto a metal skewer. Alternate with vegetables, as you like. Our favourites are red onion and zucchini.
- Grill over medium-high heat for about 10-12 minutes, turning the skewers by one quarter every couple of minutes.
- Serve with an extra squeeze of fresh lemon. Yum!